INTERNATIONAL ROSTERS ANNOUNCED FOR 2008 WORLD JUNIOR A CHALLENGE
Wednesday, October 29, 2008October 24, 2008
CALGARY, AB - Hockey Canada, in partnership with the Canadian Junior Hockey League (CJHL), has announced the rosters of the four international teams competing in the 2008 World Junior A Challenge, November 2-9 in Camrose, AB.
Teams from Belarus, Germany, Russia and the United States will join Canada West and Canada East at the six-team tournament. Canada West, Belarus and Russia will play in Pool A, while Canada East, Germany and the United States will comprise Pool B.
Click here to see off of the rosters for the 2008 World Junior A Challenge
The international rosters include:
Thirteen (13) players who took part in the 2008 IIHF World Under-18 Championship
- Belarus (5) - Brykun, Drozd, Salamonau, Susla, Volkau
- Germany (6) - Bielke, Bruckner, Flaake, Nowak, Pohl, Weiss
- Russia (1) - Orlov
- United States (1) - Kristo
Eighteen (18) players who took part in the 2007 World Junior A Challenge
- Belarus (5) - Dashkou, Kolasau, Korabau, Mikhailau, Razvadouski
- Germany (8) - Geiger, Hinterstocker, Oblinger, Oppolzer, Rupprich, Stein, Sturm, Wittfoth
- United States (5) - Cichy, Helgeson, Larson, Nicastro, Smith
Six (6) players drafted in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft (team, round, overall)
- Germany (1) - Flaake (TOR, 5, 130)
- United States (5) - Burke (WSH, 7, 174), Donovan (NYI, 4, 96), Kristo (MTL, 2, 56), Larson (CGY, 4, 108), Nicastro (DET, 3, 91)
The 2008 World Junior A Challenge kicks off on Sunday, November 2 as Canada West faces Belarus at the Edgeworth Centre in Camrose, AB. The gold medal game is scheduled for 6 p.m. MT on Sunday, November 9, and will be broadcast on TSN/RDS, the official broadcasters of Hockey Canada (check your local listings).
Single-game tickets and full-tournament ticket packages are still available. Click here for ticket information.
Tickets are also still available for the tournament's opening ceremonies on Saturday, November 1, which will feature a concert by Canadian rock legend Tom Cochrane, the first concert at the Edgeworth Centre.
For more information on the 2008 World Junior A Challenge, visit www.hockeycanada.ca/wjac.