CCHL Goaltender Invited to Hockey Canada Goalie Camp
Thursday, June 2, 2011
Hockey Canada, in partnership with the Canadian Hockey League, announced that 16 goaltenders will attend the 6th annual Program of Excellence goaltending camp at Norma Bush Arena in Calgary from June 9-12.
Sixteen goaltenders - 10 in the under-20 age category (candidates for the National Junior Team) and six in the under-18 category (candidates for the National Men's Summer Under-18 Team) - will get the opportunity to work with a number of instructors during the four-day camp.
All 16 goaltenders were selected by Hockey Canada based on evaluations done by head scout Kevin Prendergast during the 2010-11 season and in consultation with coaches, general managers and team officials throughout the CHL.
Under 20 Goaltenders
- J.P. Anderson (Toronto, Ont.) - Mississauga St. Michael's (OHL)
- Jordan Binnington (Richmond Hill, Ont.) - Owen Sound (OHL)
- Sam Brittain (Calgary, Alta.) - University of Denver (WCHA)
- Tyler Bunz (St. Albert, Alta.) - Medicine Hat (WHL)
- Louis Domingue (St-Hilaire, Que.) - Quebec (QMJHL)
- Calvin Pickard (Winnipeg, Man.) - Seattle (WHL)
- Kent Simpson (Edmonton, Alta.) - Everett (WHL)
- Malcolm Subban (Toronto, Ont.) - Belleville (OHL)
- Mark Visentin (Waterdown, Ont.) - Niagara (OHL)
- Scott Wedgewood (Brampton, Ont.) - Plymouth (OHL)
Summer Under 18 Goaltenders
- Daniel Altshuller (Nepean, Ont.) - Nepean Raiders (CCHL)
- Chris Driedger (Winnipeg, Man.) - Tri-City (WHL)
- Alex Dubeau (Mascouche, Que.) - Shawinigan (QMJHL)
- Domenic Graham (Gatineau, Que.) - Drummondville (QMJHL)
- Matt Murray (Thunder Bay, Ont.) - Sault Ste. Marie (OHL)
- François Tremblay (Baie-Comeau, Que.) - Val-d'Or (QMJHL)
"We have had terrific success with this camp in its first five years, and we are excited to have Canada's best young goaltenders work with some of the top instructors in the game," said Brad Pascall, Hockey Canada's vice-president of hockey operations/national teams. "We want to give these young goaltenders every opportunity to develop and prepare for international competition, and we feel this camp is a step in the right direction."
The camp will include both on-ice and off-ice sessions.
Hockey Canada goaltender consultant Ron Tugnutt will lead a group of seven instructors: Matt Cockell (Brandon, WHL), Sebastien Farrese (Belleville, OHL), Scott Gouthro (Cape Breton, QMJHL), Mike Lawrence (Oshawa, OHL), Marco Marciano (Montreal, QMJHL), Olivier Michaud (Drummondville, QMJHL) and Andy Moog.
The camp will be open to the public, free of charge.