Hockey Canada AGM Concludes
Saturday, May 28, 2011
Hockey Canada's Annual General Meeting (AGM), attended by more than 250 delegates from across the country, wrapped up Saturday at the Westin Calgary after three days of discussion about what will benefit the growth and development of Canada's game.
Hockey Canada's 2011 AGM brought together the governing body's board of directors, officers, life members, partner organizations and representation from all 13 branches, as well as from councils that oversee female hockey, junior hockey, minor hockey, senior hockey and hockey development.
Items approved by Hockey Canada's board of directors during this year's AGM include:
- zero tolerance measures for all head contact or checks in minor, female, junior and senior hockey:
- in minor and female hockey, a minor penalty shall be assessed for all accidental hits to the head, while a double minor penalty, or a major and game misconduct at the discretion of the referee based on the degree of violence of impact, shall be assessed for any intentional contact to the head;
- in junior (Junior A, B, C, D) and senior hockey, a minor and a misconduct or a major and a game misconduct shall be assessed for all checks to the head, at the discretion of the referee
- a major penalty and a game misconduct, or match penalty, shall be assessed to any player who injures an opponent under this rule approval of an action plan to address recruitment and retention in Canada, including:
- membership card; partnerships; education and communications initiatives; reporting strategies;
- an e-learning strategy that will bring hockey development (coaching, officiating, safety) to Hockey Canada's membership through on-line platforms
- a new strategy for the development, recruitment and licensing of Hockey Canada sports schools
Host communities approved by Hockey Canada's board of directors at the 2011 Hockey Canada AGM:
- 2011 World Junior A Challenge - Langley, B.C.
- 2012 World Junior A Challenge - Yarmouth, N.S.
- 2013 Esso Cup - Burnaby, B.C.
- 2013 TELUS Cup - Sault Ste. Marie, Ont.
- 2013 RBC Cup - Summerside, P.E.I.
Hockey Canada's Annual General Meeting kicked off Thursday, May 26 and included a banquet on the evening of Friday, May 27 that honoured ten deserving award recipients who have all had a significant impact on the hockey community.